How it's done:
- It starts with GU's superior 80%/20%mix of complex/simple carbohydrates that provide quick and sustained energy. GU's original recipe also provides an herbal blend of anti-inflammatory chamomile and stomach calming ginger, along with caffeine to metabolize fat.
- From there GU increased the amount of Histidine, an essential amino acid, to act as a buffer and slow the energy-sapping lactic acid build-up in muscles.
- GU mixed in higher levels of citrates (Potassium Citrate, Sodium Citrate, and Citric Acid) to help speed the conversion of carbohydrates into energy molecules. Like Histidine, these citrates also help mitigate acid build-up. We also added more of the branched chain amino acids (BCAAs) Leucine, Valine, and Isoleucine to serve as another fuel source, aid in recovery and help maintain mental focus and reduce fatigue by limiting the central nervous system's production of serotonin.
- A key new ingredient is the amino acid complex Ornithine Alpha-Ketoglutarate (OKG) which limits the body's tendency to break down muscle protein tissue during extremely hard training and racing days. OKG keeps you going longer and promotes a speedier recovery.
- How to use: Consume one packet 5 minutes before and one packet every 45 minutes during activity. Wash down with your favorite GU Hydration Drink or water for optimum absorption.
When should I use GU Roctane Energy Gel?
GU Roctane Energy Gel was designed to help provide nutritional support for prolonged exercise. Therefore, you will find Roctane Energy Gel especially beneficial during exercise which will require extra recovery time, and where you need help with preventing fatigue, increasing concentration, focus, and decreasing perceived effort. So when you are going big – use Roctane Energy Gel. During a more typical workout where you looking mainly for good tasting, easy to consume calories with added electrolytes – use original GU Energy Gel.
How can I use Roctane Energy Gel with Roctane Energy Drink Mix?
If you already use Roctane Energy Gel, you can substitute some gel for Roctane Energy Drink Mix. This will help tailor energy intake to your needs, and provide the beneficial ingredients found in both the gel and drink. While many ingredients are similar in the two products (carbohydrates, branched chain amino acids, histidine, and caffeine) each has unique ingredients which may also help improve performance. Therefore, using both products will help provide every nutritional advantage possible to athletes who demand the best from themselves and their nutrition. For many athletes, all they may need during prolonged exercise is one 21oz bottle of Roctane drink and 1 Roctane gel per hour for 340 total calories including gels, solids and drinks.
Why does Roctane Energy Gel have the same amount of calories as original GU Energy Gel?
You find 100 calories of carbohydrates in both Roctane Energy Gel and GU Energy Gel because there’s no reason to add more. The gut can only absorb so many calories at a time during exercise, especially when most of your blood is being delivered to your hard-working muscles. Add too many calories during intense exercise and your body can’t send enough blood to your gut to digest the carbs, making your gut cramp, forcing you to slow down.
Does one Roctane Energy Gel equal two GU Energy Gels?
No. Roctane Energy Gel is designed to help provide nutritional support for prolonged exercise. The extra ingredients help combat central fatigue, promote muscle recovery, help buffer a decrease in pH from exceeding lactate threshold, and help increase muscle focus and decrease perceived effort. Two original GU Energy Gels won’t provide this extra nutritional support.
How will the added electrolytes and amino acids in Roctane Energy Gel help me in an endurance event?
Roctane contains more sodium than the original GU Energy Gel.
*Specifications are subject to change. Please read our Terms & Conditions
*Giant & Liv Bicycles are available for purchase online, but due to warranty regulations, must be shipped to qualified Giant dealers, as bicycles must be assembled by a qualified bike mechanic in an approved store - This is an international policy and usually will require an additional fee to build the bike. This will be confirmed by one of our online staff after purchase of the bike.